• Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act - FERPA


    Most student records are open only to teachers, principals, and other staff members who have responsibilities requiring such access. Parents may review student records of their son/daughter; also, students eighteen years and older have access to their own records. Arrangement for such reviews should be made through the school principal.


    The federal law, Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, states that:

      1. Parents (or non-dependent students eighteen and older) must give written consent before release of “supplemental” or “confidential” information about their student (or themselves).
      2. “Standard” or “regular” school records may be forwarded by the school or school district upon request and without parent/student consent.
      3. “Directory information” about a student may be released to the public without parent/non-dependent student consent unless that parent gives the school district written notice to the contrary using FERPA Student Opt-out Form, available from school secretary. Record of completion of this form will be indicated in the Student Information Service (Skyward). “Directory information” includes any one or all of the following: student’s name, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, address, telephone listing, weight and height of members of athletic teams, photograph or other digital image, degrees, honors and awards received, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, grade level, and most recent educational agency or institution attended.


    Goldendale School District does not provide directory information to private parties for commercial use; however, the district does release directory information, upon request, to State and Federal Government agencies. The primary purpose of directory information is to allow the Goldendale School District to include this type of information from your child’s education records in certain school publications. Examples include: the annual yearbook, honor roll or other recognition lists, school, classroom and/or student websites, graduation programs, a playbill showing your student’s role in a drama production or concert, and sports activity sheets. The district also provides directory information to news media on students to be listed on athletic teams or to be honored for outstanding achievement.

    What is Directory Information?

      1. Your child’s name.
      2. Photographs, video and other images of your child.
      3. Recognition, diplomas and awards received by your child.
      4. Date and place of birth.
      5. Most recent and previous schools attended.
      6. Dates of enrollment and enrollment status.
      7. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight/height of student, if related to athletic participation.
      8. Electronic (e-mail) address and telephone number, including cell phone, student ID number.
      9. Student ID number (only if it cannot be used to gain access to education records).

    You have a say in who can see your child’s directory information.

    We ask parents to think carefully before restricting this information.

    Unfortunately, by restricting your child’s directory information for school publications, your student's name and photo cannot be included in student annuals and yearbooks. He or she will not be able to be part of classroom, team or club photos which are intended to be published in yearbooks.

    And, if you say "no" to providing contact information to outside organizations, your child's name, address and phone number/s will not be provided to non-district organizations, including: graduation supplies companies; colleges; or military recruiters; and, after graduation, school reunion committees.

    Publishing photos of your child in district publications and websites, or in the news media, is one of things you can restrict, if you wish.


    Directory Information Restriction Form

    If you wish to restrict how the district shares this information, please contact the school office or complete the following form:

    Release of Information (English)


    What if you change your mind?

    If you ask us to restrict your student information, but later change your mind, just ask to update this form at your child’s school office.